Roy Abernathy joined Newmark in December 2017 and currently leads the Workplace and Consulting practice in the firm’s Global Corporate Services (GCS) division. A 27-year workplace veteran, Abernathy has substantial expertise in development, sustainability, energy performance, business process, change management, workplace strategy and commercial real estate. He has been involved in more than 15 million square feet of real estate transactions within the corporate, law, communications, education and healthcare sectors, including four of the largest U.S. corporate mergers during the 1990s. Transactions have ranged from single facility transactions to those with more than 10,000 facilities.
Abernathy also leads the Newmark New Normal Team which is focused on assisting clients to create new ways of working post-COVID-19. He and his team work with public and private institutions on planning and implementing new ways of using space in the initial stages of occupancy through what will become the new normal. Abernathy has put together platforms that address the technology, physical and behavioral changes needed to create a safe and supportive environment as we reshape work and workplace.
Partial Client List
- Associated Press
- Continental Automotive
- Flagship Pioneering
- Mizuho Bank
- Rochester Gas & Electric (Avangrid)
- Time, Inc.
- Walgreens Boots Alliance
- ZS Associates
Areas of Specialty
- Cost Optimization
- Energy Performance
- Largest Land Sale Transaction, 2016, South Florida, Calder Racetrack
- New York State Development of the Year, 2017, Delaware North Companies, Inc.
- 30+ Awards for Workplace, Architecture and Energy Performance
- Registered Architect, 20 US States and Canada
- NCARB Certified
- Licensed Real Estate Salesperson GA, FL
- LEED Accredited Professional
- American Institute of Architects
- American Society of Interior Designers
- Guest Lecturer, Workplace Performance, Business Architecture and the Future of Facilities Performance
- Richard Upjohn Fellow, American Institute of Architects
- Young Architect of the Year, 2007, American Institute of Architects
- International Institute of Business Analysis
- Advisory Board, Contract Magazine
- Leadership Council, North Carolina State University
Abernathy graduated from North Carolina State University, where he earned two Bachelor of Science Degrees in Environment Design and Animal Health and earned a Master’s Degree in Architecture.