Roy Abernathy, AIA, IIDA, LEED AP, joined Newmark in December 2017 and currently serves as an executive vice president in the company’s Global Corporate Services consulting division. A 27-year workplace veteran, Mr. Abernathy has substantial expertise in architecture, sustainability, energy usage, business process, change management, workplace strategy and commercial real estate. He has been involved in more than 11 million square feet of real estate transactions, including four of the largest U.S. corporate mergers of the 1990s. Mr. Abernathy’s experience includes portfolios ranging from 2 million square feet to those with more than 100 facilities within the corporate, legal, communications, education and healthcare sectors.
Mr. Abernathy joined Newmark after serving as a senior managing director for five years with Savills Studley, Inc. a New York-based tenant representation firm. In this capacity, Mr. Abernathy led the Workplace Strategy and Analytics team dedicated to providing Fortune 1000 companies, professional service and major corporate clients (from concept thru post-occupancy) with the empirical data needed to develop actionable, informed initiatives that attract talent, support strategic behaviors and optimize both workplace and workforce. Prior Savills Studley, Mr. Abernathy worked for Accenture and was CEO of a national design and consulting firm, where he was a part of the rebranding and workplace strategy for companies including Accenture, Andersen Consulting, AT&T and MediaOne.
Partial Client List
- AssetMark, Inc.
- Delaware North Companies, Inc.
- Mizuho Bank
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Rubius Therapeutics
- Thermo Fisher
- Time, Inc.
- UPS Supply Chaim Solutions/Consulting/Logistics
- Walgreens Boots Alliance
- ZS Associates
- New York State Development of the Year, Delaware North Companies, Inc., 2017
- Largest Land Sale Transaction, South Florida, Calder Racetrack, 2016
- Advisory board, Contract Magazine
- Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Member, American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- Member, International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
Licenses and Designations
- Registered Architect, 20 U.S. states and Canada
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) Certification
- LEED Accredited Professional, U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Licensed real estate salesperson, states of Florida and Georgia
- Young Architect of the Year, American Institute of Architects, 2007
- Richard Upjohn Fellow, American Institute of Architects
- 30-plus awards for workplace, architecture and energy performance
- Guest lecturer on workplace performance, business architecture and the future of facilities performance
- Leadership council, North Carolina State University
Mr. Abernathy earned a master’s degree in architecture and Bachelor of Science degrees in environmental design and animal health from North Carolina State University.