John P. Walsh, MAI, MRICS, is a Senior Vice President at Newmark Valuation & Advisory in the San Mateo office. Walsh brings to his position more than 30 years of experience valuing and advising on institutional and corporate real estate throughout Northern California.
Prior to joining Newmark in 2017, Walsh worked for 10 years in the Cushman & Wakefield Valuation & Advisory Services Group, where he served in a variety of professional roles. Most recently, he was a Senior Director in the San Francisco office. In this role, he was responsible for appraisal and consulting services for most types of income-producing and commercial properties, including affordable housing, development land, educational facilities, hotels and motels, industrial, multifamily, mixed-use, office, residential subdivisions, retail, senior housing and special-use properties. The intended use of these assignments included mortgage lending, corporate advisory, disposition and acquisition, tax appeal, litigation and rent arbitration.
Walsh has been appraising commercial real estate since 1988 and has valued over $50 billion in real estate. He previously held professional and managerial positions with Hamilton, Ricci & Associates, Security Pacific Bank (acquired by Bank of America), First Deposit Bank (acquired by Wells Fargo) and The Pacific Bank (acquired by City National Bank).
Partial List of Significant Assignments
- 23-acre urban mixed-use redevelopment site (San Francisco, CA)
- 1.25 million SF trophy office building (San Francisco, CA)
- 1.0 million SF trophy office building (San Francisco, CA)
- 750,000 SF trophy office building (San Francisco, CA)
- 656-unit high-rise condominium complex (San Francisco, CA)
- 250,000 SF urban retail center (San Francisco, CA)
- 85,000 SF urban retail center (San Francisco, CA)
- Proposed 800,000 SF office complex (Burlingame, CA)
- 320,000 SF adaptive reuse project (San Francisco, CA)
- 105,000 SF historic landmark (San Francisco, CA)
Licenses and Designations
- Member, Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Member, Royal Institution of Charter Surveyors (MRICS)
- Certified general real estate appraiser, state of California
Walsh earned a Master of Business Administration degree in management from Golden Gate University and a Bachelor of Science degree in finance from Santa Clara University. He has also completed the requirements of the Appraisal Institute’s continuing education program.