John Nero serves as Senior Managing Director of Newmark’s Healthcare Capital Markets Group. Based in Newmark’s New York headquarters, Nero works on a variety of healthcare real estate engagements, including real estate portfolio monetizations, asset sales and financings, debt and equity placements and development advisory on behalf of healthcare provider and institutional investor clients. As part of his role, Nero leads the debt capital markets initiative for the healthcare capital markets practice, specializing in acquisition, construction and refinancing facilities for borrowers in the healthcare sector.
Nero has worked with a wide range of client types, including healthcare systems, hospitals, REITs, and private real estate investment and development firms. His experience with healthcare real estate spans a broad range of asset classes, including medical office buildings, seniors housing and post-acute care facilities, among others.
Nero joined Newmark in 2019 from Hammond Hanlon Camp, LLC, a strategic advisory and investment banking firm focused on the healthcare sector. As Director of Hammond Hanlon Camp’s real estate group, Nero focused on single-asset and portfolio monetizations, developer selections, private equity and debt placements, refinancings, and mergers and acquisitions transactions.
Previously, Nero spent five years with Morgan Keegan and Co., where he worked in the firm’s healthcare real estate investment banking group. He began his real estate career at Wells Fargo Bank in their commercial real estate lending group.
Nero is a FINRA licensed investment banking professional, holding Series 7 and 63 designations.
Partial List of Significant Transactions
- Sale of Ryan Companies 11-building healthcare portfolio
- Multiple medical office building portfolio financings for KKR totaling over $350 million
- Catholic Health Initiatives $860 million medical office building portfolio monetization
- Capital raise for $100 million medical office building development project in Buffalo, NY, for Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation
- Merger of Brinkman Management Development and Anchor Health Properties
Partial Client List
- Anchor Health Properties
- Artemis Real Estate Partners
- Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation
- Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation
- Global Nephrology Solutions
- HealthCap Partners
- Inland Private Capital
- Main Line Health
- Ryan Companies
Nero serves as a board member for VIP Community Services, Inc., a nonprofit organization that provides healthcare, housing and education services to under-served communities in the Bronx.
Nero holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from Drexel University. He is also a guest lecturer at the Villanova School of Business.