Steve Biegel joined Newmark in 2017 as executive managing director in the firm’s Houston, Texas, office, where he specializes in office tenant representation. An attorney turned real estate broker, Mr. Biegel has a combined 42 years of legal and brokerage experience that has spanned multiple cycles of Houston’s boom-and-bust real estate market. Consequently, Mr. Biegel is adept not only at the structuring, negotiation and closing of complex real estate transactions but also at complicated restructurings, refinancings, workouts and foreclosures. Mr. Biegel has completed transactions in excess of 20 million square feet.
Prior to Newmark, Mr. Biegel served as executive vice president and co-branch manager of Savills Studley’s Houston office. In this role, he focused on representing office tenants, particularly law firms. Throughout his tenure with Savills Studley, Mr. Biegel was a member of the firm’s Law Firm Practice Group, which he chaired for several years.
Mr. Biegel launched his career in real estate brokerage at Trione & Gordon in 1998, after 17 years as an attorney with Andrews & Kurth (now Hunton Andrews Kurth). During his tenure at the Houston-based law firm, he advised tenants and landlords on complex lease transactions in the city and throughout the U.S. He also represented developers, investors and institutional lenders in all aspects of commercial real estate acquisition, development, financing and disposition and worked on numerous master limited partnerships, REITs and other financial market transactions.
- Heavy Hitter, Houston Business Journal, multiple years
- MVP, Houston Business Journal, 2003
- Office Broker of the Year Finalist, NAIOP, 2003
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual, Houston Bar Foundation, 2006
- Life fellow, Texas and Houston Bar Foundations
- Chair, Houston Office Leasing Brokers Association, 2001 - 2002
- Chair, Real Estate Law Section, Houston Bar Association, 1998 - 1999
- Board of Directors, Covenant House Texas
- Board of Directors, executive committee and chair, development committee, Lone Star Flight Museum
- Board of Directors, Avalon Property Owners Association
- Formerly member of the boards of directors of Gathering of Men Texas and A 2nd Cup
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church
Mr. Biegel attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree with honors and a Bachelor of Business Administration degree with majors in finance and real estate.