Arthur “Rocky” W. McElhannon, Jr., MAI, SRA, AI-GRS currently serves as a Senior Vice President in Newmark Valuation & Advisory’s Charlotte, North Carolina office. As a Southeast team leader for the Litigation Support & Consulting specialty practice, he specializes in appraisals for tax appeals, equitable distribution, litigation and open space/land preservation.
A 35-year real estate veteran, McElhannon’s valuation experience encompasses a variety of property types including freestanding retail, shopping centers, single and multi-tenant office buildings, medical buildings, industrial warehouse and manufacturing, daycare, churches, schools, marinas, automobile racetracks, automobile dealerships, eminent domain right-of-way acquisitions, multifamily developments, self storage, mobile home communities, and restaurants.
McElhannon is a native North Carolinian. He began his commercial appraisal career in 1987 in the Philadelphia, PA market where he remained until moving back to the Carolinas (Charlotte) in 1995. He has valued real estate throughout the southeast region of the U.S. since the mid-1980s. He is qualified as an expert witness (Asheville, NC & Spartanburg, SC) for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and the North Carolina Real Estate Tax Commission. Prior to Newmark, McElhannon came to Newmark after serving as a Senior Valuation Services Director at Colliers International Valuation & Advisory Services for almost five-years. Prior to his time at Colliers International, McElhannon was self-employed under the name of The Hopkins-McElhannon Group, Inc. for twelve-years. He became a General Certified Appraiser in 1989 and holds active certifications in NC & SC.
- Designated Member, Appraisal Institute
- Real Estate Valuation Conference (REVC) Chair – North Carolina Chapter of the Appraisal Institute
- Nominating Committee – North Carolina Chapter of the Appraisal Institute
- Alternate Representative Region V – Appraisal Institute
- Realtor Member – Charlotte Commercial Board of Realtors
- 2022 Appraisal Institute Outstanding Service Award
Licenses and Designations
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser, states of North Carolina & South Carolina
- MAI designation, Appraisal Institute
- SRA designation, Appraisal Institute
- AI-GRS designation, Appraisal Institute
Advanced Real Estate Studies Great Valley Campus of Penn State University and Rosemont College, Philadelphia, PA.