As executive managing director of investment sales and capital markets, Mike VanBuskirk, SIOR, CCIM, CRE, is responsible for the acquisition and disposition of investment properties throughout the Midwest for individual investors, regional investment groups and institutional clients. In this capacity, he has extensive experience in all investment property types, including office, medical office, industrial, retail, multifamily, hospitality and development land.
Since joining the firm in 1994, Mr. VanBuskirk has been involved in the completion of more than 1,000 transactions with a combined value in excess of $1.5 billion. These transactions include over 23 million square feet of commercial properties and over 2,500 acres of land. He was made a principal of the firm in 2006, is a member of the firm’s board of directors and serves on the executive management team.
Mr. VanBuskirk has an active consulting practice and assists corporate clients in managing all aspects of their commercial real estate portfolio analysis, lease evaluation and negotiations, property acquisitions/dispositions and structuring sale/lease back transactions. He has successfully completed projects in over 20 states.
A partial list of his clients includes BKD, Hallmark Cards, the University of Kansas Hospital Authority and Westlake ACE Hardware. He has extensive experience in assisting nonprofit clients with maximizing the value of their real estate assets including the Arbor Day Foundation, the Community of Christ, John Knox Village, the Menninger Foundation and the Unity School of Christianity.
Mr. VanBuskirk is active in development activities, including build-to-suits and land development. In this capacity, he has been involved with the development of more than 2 million square feet of commercial buildings with a combined value of more than $212 million and more than 1,700 acres of land. He has also been involved with the placement of more than $150 million of commercial mortgages, completed multiple loan sales and has served as a court appointed receiver.
- Top Producer, Newmark Zimmer, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame, Midwest Real Estate News, 2018
- Heavy Hitters in Commercial Real Estate, Kansas City Business Journal, 2016 - 2020
- Commercial Broker of the Year, 2015, Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS® (KCRAR)
- Largest Total Volume Award, KCRAR, 2008
- Home Run Award, KCRAR, 2008
- Home Run Award, CCIM Institute, 2008
- Broker of the Year, The Opus Group, 2008
- 40 Under Forty, Ingram’s Magazine, 2006
- Commercial Realtor Salesperson of the Year, KCRAR, 2003
- CoStar Power Broker, multiple years
- Member, Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), 2000 - present
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), 2002 - present
- Member, The Counselors of Real Estate® (CRE®), 2004 - present
- Member, Urban Land Institute (ULI), 2019 - present
- Member Commercial Division, Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS® (KCRAR), 1994 - present
- Board of directors, 2019 - present, Member, Advisory Committee, 1999 - present, Lee’s Summit Economic Development Council
- Chairman, 2006 - 2015; vice chairman, 2001 – 2005, Tax Increment Financing Commission, City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri.
- Member, Economic Development Planning Committee, City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, 2019 - 2020
- Member, City Hall Task Force, City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, 1999 - 2000
- Member, Advisory Board, University of Missouri-Kansas City Lewis White Real Estate Center, 2007 – present
- President, 2015; vice president, 2014; treasurer, 2007, chairman of Development Day, 2004, Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR) Western Missouri/Kansas Chapter
- Member, Board of Directors, Platte County Economic Development Council, 1998 – 2000, 2013 – 2014
- Centurions Leadership Development Program, Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, 1999 - 2000
- Leadership Northland Program, Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce, 1996
- Licensed real estate broker/salesperson, states of Kansas and Missouri
Mr. VanBuskirk holds a Master of Science degree in real estate from the College of Business at the University of Texas at Arlington and a Bachelor of Business Administration degree with an emphasis in finance from the Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.