CA RE License #01883266
Josh Shumsky joined Newmark’s retail group in 2012 as an associate specializing in retail leasing. Having previously worked in corporate retail for more than four years, Mr. Shumsky has a strong understanding of retailers’ needs. Prior to beginning his real estate career, he worked in merchandising and business strategy for Orchard Supply Hardware, an 80-year-old hardware chain with 87 stores in California, and for Pacific Sunwear at its headquarters in Anaheim, California.
A member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Mr. Shumsky is the State Chair for the Northern California NextGen program which is geared towards the challenges, interests and trends in retail real estate. Mr. Shumsky has also been recognized as Newmark’s Top Retail Leasing Agent in Northern California for 2018, 2019 and 2021.
Mr. Shumsky is also an integrated partner with Newmark’s Capital Markets team, working with Nicholas Bicardo on transactions throughout Northern California. He has conducted more than 285 transactions in excess of $1 Billion, and 3 Million SF.
Partial Project List
- Main Street Cupertino (Sand Hill Property Company and ADIA):
- Mixed-Use Development near Apple’s 3.1M S.F. Campus in Cupertino, CA
- Contains 130,000 S.F. of Retail, 260,000 S.F. of Office, 120 loft apartments, and a 180 room Marriott Residence Inn.
- 280 Metro (Kimco - Colma, CA)
- A ±227,829 S.F. regional power center located in Colma, CA with anchors such as Ashley, Marshalls, Ross, ULTA, and Old Navy.
- University Commons (Brixmor - UC Davis Adjacent Development)
- Existing Trader Joe’s and ancillary retail center, with planned mixed-use redevelopment to contain 112,340 S.F. of Retail and restaurant space.
- El Paseo de Saratoga, San Jose (Sand Hill Property Company)
- Contains ±296,000 S.F. of Retail, Restaurant, and Entertainment uses, including a 14 Screen AMC Theater. Developer is working to go Mixed-Use Residential.
- McCarthy Ranch, Milpitas:
- Contains ±265,344 square feet of Retail, Restaurant and Entertainment uses, including a ±46,000 S.F. Big Al’s, ±51,250 S.F. Best Buy, ±31,610 S.F. Big Lots, Mancini’s, Ross, and Dollar Tree.
- Village at San Antonio, Mountain View (Brookfield Properties)
- Contains 250k S.F. of Retail, 400,000 S.F. of Office, 330 Residential units and a 167-room hotel.
Partial List of Lease Transactions
As a landlord representative:
- Whole Foods - ±40,000 S.F. in New Development site at El Paseo de Saratoga
- Target – ±23,316 S.F. – Main Street Cupertino
- Mancini’s - ±12,000 S.F. – McCarthy Ranch, Milpitas
- Boot Barn - ±10,926 S.F. – 280 Metro, Colma
- Dashmart - ±7,500 S.F. – 280 Metro, Colma
- ULTA - ±10,481 S.F. - El Paseo de Saratoga, San Jose
- California Fish Grill - ±2,500 S.F. – El Paseo de Saratoga, San Jose
Partial List of Sale Transactions
- Hamilton Marketplace, Novato: $67M
- Bay Street, Emeryville: $90.5M
- Folsom Gateway, Folsom: $46M
- @First Shopping Center, San Jose: $54.5M
- Lafayette Portfolio (La Fiesta Square and Lafayette Mercantile): $103.8M
- Former Orchard Supply, Sunnyvale - $56M (in Contract)
- Arco - Cupertino, CA - $6M
Partial Client List
- Brookfield (Residential/Office)
- Epic Real Estate Partners
- Equity Residential
- Jay Paul Co.
- American Family Care
- Barefoot Coffee Roasters
- Five Guys Burgers
- Tharaldson Hospitality Management
- Sand Hill Property Company
- Republic Urban Properties
- Top Producer, Newmark Retail Leasing (Northern California) (2018, 2019, 2021)
- Nominee - ASVB Silicon Valley Retail Broker of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021)
- Member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- State Chair (Northern California) – ICSC NextGen
Mr. Shumsky graduated from Santa Clara University with a Bachelor of Arts in Marketing.