Joe Steffner is Senior Vice President and Regional Managing Director of Newmark & Company Real Estate, Inc. (“Newmark”), an international commercial real estate firm headquartered in New York and traded publicly on the Nasdaq exchange (NMRK). Joe has been active in investment sales, development, construction, leasing and property management of commercial properties in Memphis and Nashville for over 30 years.
Steffner began his real estate career in office and industrial leasing and transitioned over the years into investment sales. His management and leasing background has provided a deep financial and operational understanding of commercial buildings, which has enabled his delivery of maximum value to clients in his investment real estate practice. A list of representative investment transactions is attached.
From a business management perspective, Joe is charged with leadership of the Memphis Newmark office and growth of the Newmark brand in the mid-southern United States (Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kentucky and Alabama).
Prior to joining Newmark, Joe founded Steffner Commercial Real Estate, LLC (“SCRE”) in Memphis in 2004. SCRE “affiliated” with international brokerage firm Grubb & Ellis Co. in December 2006 (SCRE dba Grubb & Ellis|Memphis). Newmark purchased Grubb & Ellis in 2013 and then purchased SCRE in December of 2015 with Joe remaining with Newmark as the Memphis Market Leader.
Prior to Steffner Commercial, Joe was a partner at Colliers International from 2002 to 2004; Executive Vice President at CBRE Memphis from 1998 – 2002, and Senior Vice President and Partner with Trammell Crow Company in Nashville and Memphis for thirteen (13) years - from 1985-1998. He began his career out of college with the Procter & Gamble Distributing Company, where he was a Unit Manager based in Kansas City, Missouri and Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Areas of Specialty
- Office Investment Strategy
- Office Strategic Consulting
- Office Tenant Representation
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, BA Geological Sciences – 1983
- University of Memphis, MBA – 1994
- University of Memphis, MS, Real Estate Development – 1996
- University of the South at Sewanee, EFM (Education for Ministry) Certificate – 2006
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) – Since 1998
- Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR) – Office Specialist – Since 1998
- Institute of Real Estate Management, Certified Property Manager (CPM) – Since 2002
- MAAR Commercial Council, Pinnacle Awards – Memphis Commercial Broker of the Year – 2016
- MAAR Commercial Council, Pinnacle Awards – Broker of the Year, Land Sales Volume – 2012
- MAAR Commercial Council, Pinnacle Awards – Broker of the Year, Office Building Sales – 2005
- MAAR Pinnacle Awards – Top 25 Commercial Brokers (sales volume) - 2002, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2016
- MBJ Top 40 Under 40 – 1998
- New Memphis - Leadership Development Intensive - 1998
- Leadership Memphis – Class of 1997
- Phoenix Club – Mednikow Award – Member of the Year - 1992
- Member – Lambda Alpha International Land Real Estate Society
- Principal Real Estate Broker – Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Kentucky
Memphis Community Involvement
- Children’s Museum of Memphis – Chairman, Board of Trustees – 2004 - 2006
- Carnival Association of Memphis – Chairman and President (Carnival Memphis) - 1998-1999
- Memphis Area Association of Realtors (MAAR) – Chairman and President Board of Directors – 2016
- MAAR Board of Directors – 2008, 2009 and 2013-2016.
- MAAR Commercial Council – Founding President - 2004
- National Association of Realtors – National Board of Directors - 2016
- Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR) National Board of Directors – 2014, 2015
- SIOR – Chairman – Council of Chapter Presidents – 2011, 2012
- SIOR – National Board of Directors (Executive Committee) – 2011, 2012
- SIOR – Local Memphis Chapter – President – 2006, 2007
- TAR – Tennessee Association of Realtors – Board of Directors – 2002-2005, 2015-2016
- University of Tennessee President’s Council – Board of advisors to UT President Randy Boyd
- University of Tennessee National Alumni Association – President, West Tennessee Chapter – 1992
- University of Tennessee National Alumni Association – Board of Governors 1994-1996
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Memphis – Central Board of Directors – 1994-1995
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Memphis – Southside Board of Directors – 1996-1997
- Phoenix Club of Memphis – President - 1994
- Kairos Prison Ministry, Memphis – Board of Directors and volunteer leader – West TN State Penitentiary
- Serenity House Memphis – Board of Directors