Jonathan Franzel joined Newmark in 2013 and currently serves as an director in the firm’s New York headquarters. Mr. Franzel works directly with President New York Tri-State Region David Falk, representing tenants and landlords in both lease and sale transactions, principally in the New York metropolitan area. In 2017, Mr. Franzel was selected by New York Commercial Observer as one of its “30 Under 30: The Best and the Brightest of NYC Real Estate.”
As a landlord representative, Mr. Franzel is on the exclusive leasing team for over 4 million square feet in such prestigious office buildings as 386 Park Avenue South, 295 Lafayette Street (the Puck Building), 79 Walker Street and five buildings known as the Hudson Square South Campus (75 Varick Street, 100 Avenue of the Americas, 205 Hudson Street, 200 Hudson street and 155 Avenue of the Americas). As leasing agents, he and his team have recently been involved in a number of transformative transactions, including:
- WeWork: 100,000 RSF at 205 Hudson Street
- Two Sigma: 75,000 RSF at 100 Avenue of the Americas
- Away: 54,000 RSF at 82 Mercer Street
- 70,000 RSF of transactions at 386 Park Avenue South, including Orchard Platform (25,000 RSF), Awesomeness TV (13,000 RSF), KSH Capital (11,000 RSF) and several more
- Harry’s Razors: 60,000 RSF at 75 Varick Street
- Leasing of three full buildings (79 Walker Street, 161 Bowery and 135 Bowery) on behalf of Caspi Development, with tenants that include Bang and Olufsen, Epidemic Sound and Kik Interactive
On the tenant side, Mr. Franzel has represented a broad range of companies, from smaller growing technology startups to large corporations and government organizations, including:
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency: 110,000 RSF at 250 Vesey Street
- System One: Over 40,000 RSF of transactions in Manhattan, Miami and Washington, DC
- Stash: 40,000 RSF at 500 Seventh Avenue
- Flexport: 25,000 RSF at 111 West 19th Street
- Bohler Engineering: 12,000 RSF of transactions at 225 West 34th Street
- Nativo: 10,000 RSF of transactions in Manhattan at 50 West 17th Street and 54 West 21st Street
- Thinkful: 10,000 RSF of transactions in Manhattan at 304 Hudson Street and Brooklyn at 55 Prospect Street
- AngelList: 6,000 RSF at 149 Fifth Avenue
Mr. Franzel was selected as one of Newmark’s Rising Stars in 2014, 2015 and 2017.
An active member of his community, Mr. Franzel serves on the Young Ambassadors Board of the Jefferson Foundation and the Young Leadership Cabinet of Israel Bonds.
Mr. Franzel received a Bachelor of Arts degree in history from Hamilton College, where he played varsity tennis for four years and served as team captain. He is a native New Yorker.