Fred Smith serves as a Vice Chairman with Newmark at the company’s New York headquarters. Over the course of his 38-year career, Smith has completed more than 30 million square feet of tenant representation assignments for major organizations.
Smith joined Newmark in 2016 after 31 years with Cushman & Wakefield, where he most recently served as vice chairman. During his tenure at Cushman & Wakefield, Smith closed the ninth-largest real estate transaction in the U.S. and the largest sale leaseback in Silicon Valley history, as well as the largest transatlantic transaction ever between C&W’s U.S. and European operations. He is the recipient of C&W’s 2003 Global Deal of the Year Award, Downtown Deal of the Year Award and various top producer awards.
Partial Client List
- Air France
- Anbang Insurance Group
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- CBS Corporation
- Daiwa Bank & Trust Co.
- General Services Administration
- Metropolitan Transit Authority
- Molloy College
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank
- Suntory International Corp.
- XL Global Services
- Young & Rubicam
- XL Capital – Consolidation and headquarters strategy
- Coopers & Lybrand and Price Waterhouse – Assisted with merger and national portfolio of 8.0 million SF
- Silicon Graphics – 800,000 SF corporate campus sale to Goldman Sachs in Mountain View, CA
- Sycamore Partners – Sale leaseback of Talbots headquarters and distribution center, collectively 846,000 SF
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and Mitsubishi Financial Group – 715,000 SF, including two headquarters, each in excess of 200,000 SF
- Anbang Insurance Group – Exclusive leasing agents for 717 Fifth Avenue
- CBS Interactive – 285,000 SF headquarters lease restructure
- BayernLB – 100,000 SF lease restructure and sale of 25% stake in 560 Lexington Avenue
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank, Ltd. – Termination and swap of a 53,000 SF lease for 45,000 SF
- General Services Administration – 10-year, 25,000 SF lease for elite enforcement agency in New York City
- Molloy College – 15-year, 16,540 SF lease for its first New York City campus, at 50 Broadway
- Suntory International Corp. – 10-year, 5,250 SF lease at 600 Third Avenue
- Sears Holdings – Valued and advised for transfer of 261 stores totaling 42.0 million SF into a REIT, Seritage Growth Properties. Sears raised approximately $2.7 billion.
- Sycamore Partners – Valued and advised for the acquisition of Belk Dept. stores, 299 locations, 19 states.
- Bell Canada – Led a Capital Markets and Canadian team to formulate a broker opinion of value for 10.0 million SF portfolio.
- CBS (Paramount Theme Parks) – Valued five properties, 1,950 acres owned, 108 acres leased, U.S. and Canada.
- Founder, Light Up New York
- Member, St. Lawrence University Parents Committee
- Member, Parent’s Club, Southern Methodist University
- Volunteer, New York Youth at Risk
- Former parent volunteer, Middlebury College, Tulane University and Texas Tech University
Smith is a designated Certified Commercial Investment Member. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics and Finance from the City University of New York and has attended courses at New York University’s School of Continuing Education for Real Estate and Finance.