Douglas L. Nickel MAI, FRICS currently serves as a Senior Managing Director and Market Leader for Washington DC, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. In this role, Nickel is responsible for business development; aggressively recruiting top appraisal talent; providing outstanding service to clients; third party appraisal review services; and overseeing a team of appraisers in the regional offices of Newmark. Nickel joined Newmark in 2017 following the acquisition of several Integra Realty Resources offices.
Nickel has been actively engaged in real estate valuation and consulting throughout the Mid-Atlantic region since the mid‐1980s. Nickel has expertise in valuation and counseling on all major types of real estate, including commercial, industrial, office, mixed-use, multifamily housing, lodging, residential and commercial land development and special-purpose properties, with particular expertise in the valuation of investment-grade real property. Nickel has performed specialized real estate valuations on air rights and avigation easements; cold storage/refrigerated facilities; sand, gravel and rock quarries; golf courses, sports facilities and fieldhouses; self storage facilities; student housing; and road racing facilities.
Nickel’s clients have included investment firms, law firms, lenders, corporations, private investors, institutions and public agencies. He has performed valuations for financing, equity participation, due diligence, condemnation, estate planning, right‐of‐way acquisitions and litigation support. Nickel has also completed valuations and market studies for proposed, partially constructed, renovated and existing structures.
Nickel is qualified as an expert witness in U.S. Bankruptcy Court (Eastern District of Pennsylvania, District of Maryland, District of New Jersey), U.S. District Court (Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Southern District of Florida), State of Delaware Court of Chancery, State of Delaware Superior Court and New Jersey Tax Court.
– Member, Delaware Council on Real Estate Appraisers (state licensing board), 2013 – 2019; Chairman, 2016 – 2019, Vice Chairman, 2015 - 2016
– Delaware Chapter of the Appraisal Institute; President, 2007 – 2008, Board of Directors, 2009 - 2013
– Delaware Association of Appraisers (Past Member); President, 2010 – 2012, Board of Directors, 2010 - 2013
Licenses and Designations
– MAI designation, Appraisal Institute
– Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
– Certified general appraiser; District of Columbia, commonwealth of Virginia, state of Delaware, commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and state of Maryland
Nickel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from the University of Richmond. He has also successfully completed numerous real estate and related courses and seminars sponsored by the Appraisal Institute and others.