Dean Smith is Vice Chairman of Newmark’s Carolinas operation where he directs the team’s business development activity and day-to-day operations. A founding partner of ARA prior to the company’s acquisition, Smith has led or been meaningfully involved in more than $16 billion in multifamily brokerage sales since 2000. His comprehensive focus on every part of the deal cycle, from business development, land sales, equity and debt placement, existing property sales to managing negotiations and due diligence through closing, has contributed to a deep and wide range of transaction experience.
Before joining Newmark, Smith spent three years at Highwoods Properties, a publicly traded REIT, where he was responsible for the leasing and development of the Piedmont Triad portfolio consisting of more than nine million square feet of office and industrial product.
- Member, National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC)
- the Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Member, the Greater Charlotte Apartment Association
- Founding Partner and Director, ARA Carolinas Charitable Trust
- Member, Benefactors Society, the University of Virginia
Smith graduated from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology where he was a two-time All-ACC player on the University’s golf team.