Key findings of the report include:
- The Opportunity Zone program has the potential to be an economic and development driver nationally, with increased investment in the commercial real estate market.
- Due to favorable economic conditions, support from state and local governments, and shovel-ready development in newly designated Opportunity Zones, the Mid-Atlantic’s commercial real estate investment community is well positioned to capitalize on the Opportunity Zones program.
- Opportunity Zones in or near growing neighborhoods of expanding cities are well positioned to benefit.
- While the Washington metropolitan area has been developing rapidly over the past decade, investment sales data suggest that the Opportunity Zone legislation may have a more pronounced impact on the region than it has nationally.
- Opportunity Zones are likely to attract a new and diverse set of investors willing to assume greater risk in previously underserved and underinvested emerging neighborhoods.
The report concludes with Opportunity Zone implications for Mid-Atlantic investors.