Dr. Troy Nash serves as a managing director, principal and director of public sector consulting with Newmark Zimmer.
At 29, Dr. Nash was elected to the Kansas City, Missouri city council. He was re-elected in 2003 and served until May 2007 when term limits brought his public service to an end. As an at-large city councilman of the largest city in the State of Missouri, with nearly 4,560 employees and a budget over $1.2 billion, Dr. Nash was responsible for the direct representation of over 450,000 citizens. He served as Vice Chair of the Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee from 1999 to 2003 and the committee’s chairman from 2003 to 2007. As chair of that influential committee, Dr. Nash presided over the largest economic development boom in the history of the city. He directly impacted over $10 billion of residential, retail, office, entertainment and industrial development in Kansas City, Missouri. Dr. Nash also served as Vice Chairman of the Budget and Audit Committee with jurisdiction over the city’s nearly $1 billion budget.
In 2007, he joined Zimmer Real Estate Services, L.C., (d/b/a Newmark Zimmer) a prestigious full-service commercial real estate firm in Kansas City. Mentored by legendary real estate developer and business leader Hugh J. Zimmer, in 2014, Dr. Nash made history becoming the very first African-American executive to become a partner in a top ten commercial real estate firm in Missouri’s history; shattering a glass ceiling that stood since Missouri became the 24th state on August 10, 1821. As a member of the Urban Land Institute Kansas City Advisory Board (ULI), Nash successfully completed their Real Estate School and holds the Housing Development Finance Certification (HDFP) and the Economic Development Finance Certification (EDFP) issued by the National Development Council (NDC). Additionally, he completed all the coursework toward the Certified Commercial Investment Manager (CCIM) designation.
In 2008, Dr. Nash was nominated by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate to the Missouri Housing Development Commission, the states HUD sponsored Housing Finance Agency and served as vice chairman of the commission from 2009-2017. He currently serves on the regional Board of Directors of Arvest Bank, the largest privately-owned bank in the United States ($20 billion), the Board of Directors of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation based in Washington D.C., and the Board of Directors of the National Speakers Association. In 2020, Dr. Nash was named one of the Most Influential Black Executives In Corporate America by SAVOY Magazine.
A 22-year real estate veteran, his expertise includes structuring public/private partnerships, identifying and securing public incentives, and forming successful real estate and economic development projects. His position within Newmark Zimmer allows him to tap into the firm’s vast knowledge base and talent pool to meet client’s expectations and real estate needs across the firm’s various service platforms.
- Defying the Odds Alumni Award, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 2017
- 2015 Real Estate Hall of Fame Inductee, Midwest Real Estate News, 2016
- 100 Most Influential Kansas Citians, Kansas City Globe, 2015
- Unsung Hero Award, Ford Motor Company, 2015
- 50 Missourians You Should Know, Ingram’s Magazine, 2015
- Helping Hand Award, No Excuses Conference, 2015
- NextGen Leaders, Kansas City Business Journal, 2014
- Who’s Who in Black Kansas City, 2013
- Board of Directors Outstanding Leadership Award, People to People International, 2006
- Ambassador-at-large, People-to-People International, 2006
- Forty under 40, Ingram’s Magazine 2001
- White House Presidential Selection Awards Committee, 2000
- Congressional Black Caucus Board of Directors, 2015 – Present
- KU Advancement Board of Directors, 2016 – present
- Commissioner, Tax Increment Financing Commission for the City of Kansas City, Missouri, 2014 – 2019
- Arvest Bank Regional Board of Directors, 2013 – present
- Hawthorn Foundation Board of Directors, 2011 – present
- People to People International Board of Directors, 1998 – present
- Commissioner, Missouri Housing Development Commission (MHDC), 2008 – 2017
- Executive Cabinet Member, United Way Greater Kansas City, 2016
- Missouri Tax Credit Review Commission, 2010 – 2016
Dr. Nash holds a Doctorate in Education degree from Saint Louis University; a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law; a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Missouri Bloch School of Management; master’s degrees in both economics and political science from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and a bachelor’s degree in economics from Wesley College. Dr. Nash is currently completing a Master of Urban Planning degree at the University of Southern California’s Sol Price School of Public Policy.