Mr. Houseman joined Newmark as Managing Director in 2019 and is a member of the Critical Transactions Group (CTG). CTG is a 20-person, geographically dispersed team, which specializes in financial engineered solutions for its clients.
CTG’s unique investment banking mindset has derived over $1 billion in value for our clients. Each engagement starts with a forensic examination of non-traditional opportunity indicators such as landlord investment strategies, capital stack exposure, and anchor tenant impact on asset valuation. Applying forensic research data to predictive analytics enables CTG to identify value creation opportunities that are agnostic of geography or lease expiration. CTG applies this methodology to portfolios and individual, one-off transactions.
Mr. Houseman brings with him 24 years of commercial real estate experience and has secured millions of dollars in savings for his clients through his expertise in areas such as; Accretive Value Arbitrage, EBITDA Enhancement, Balance Sheet Optimization, Strategic Planning, Workplace Optimization, Financial Engineering, Traditional Leasing, and Fixed Fee Build-to-Suits.
Prior to joining Newmark, Mr. Houseman led shared services functions at VMware, Twitter, The Clorox Company, and New Relic. Mr. Houseman co-founded a building energy modelling company which reconciled the mismatched incentives between landlords and tenants to implement energy efficiency projects in leased buildings. Mr. Houseman also founded an occupier consulting firm, focused on transformational change initiatives to prepare for pre-IPO efficiency and post-IPO hyper-growth scaling, globally.
Partial List of Portfolios Managed
- Twitter, Hyper-growth Global Office Portfolio (90 locations)
- VMware, Hyper-growth Global Office/R&D/Data Center Portfolio (160 locations)
- The Clorox Company, Office, R&D, Industrial (manufacturing & distribution) Global Portfolio (20 million SF)
- Poly (Polycom & Plantronics), Global Office Portfolio (120 locations)
- Segment.io, Hyper-growth Global Office Portfolio + Workplace Strategy (15 locations)
- New Relic, Global Office Portfolio and Workplace Strategy (12 locations)
- Superior Court of California. 20-year Portfolio Highest & Best Use Master Plan and Asset Monetization Strategy (>200 locations)
Partial List of Lease Transactions
- VMware, Palo Alto, CA: HQ Ground Lease and Asset Acquisition: 100 acres and 1.2 million SF | 3401 Hillview Avenue, Stanford Research Park
- The Clorox Company, Oakland, CA: Headquarters Master Plan and Partial Relocation
- The Clorox Company, Alpharetta, GA: HQ2 Project, 75,000 SF
- Twitter, San Francisco, CA: HQ Lease: Approx. 950,000 SF | 1355 Market and One 10th Street (Market Square Redevelopment)
- VMware: Bengalaru, Karnataka, India: Kalyani Vista: 500,000 SF | 192A, 3rd Main Road, Doresanipalya, Anthappa Layout, Phase 4, J. P. Nagar
- Twitter, Dublin, Ireland: EMEA HQ, Whole Building Lease and Redevelopment Project: 80,000 SF | 26 Fenian Street
- Twitter, London, United Kingdom: Crown Estate Landlord Flagship Lease: 60,000 SF | 20 Air Street, Soho
- Twitter, Singapore: APAC HQ, 45,000 SF | CapitaGreen 138 Market Street
- Licensed Florida Real Estate Salesperson
- Licensed Architect, State of California
- Master of Corporate Real Estate (MCR)
- Senior Leader of Corporate Real Estate (SLCR) “candidate”
- LEED AP, U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Corenet, Southeast Florida Chapter Member
- Corenet, Northern California Chapter Member & 2016-2019 Executive Board Member
- National Council of Architects Registration Board (NCARB)
Mr. Houseman graduated from Cornell University where he earned a BArch degree in Architecture with a concentration in Hospitality & Hotel Management. He then went on to receive dual MBA degrees, the first from Columbia Business School, Columbia University where he earned an MBA with a concentration in Finance. Mr. Houseman graduated from the University of California, Berkeley where he earned an MBA with a concentration in International Business.