Chris Akers (Donald Christopher Akers) serves as a Vice President for Newmark Valuation & Advisory in Charleston, South Carolina. With more than 18 years of experience, his expertise and focus are on the accurate valuation of commercial properties in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.
Akers joined Newmark following 13 years of balancing commercial & residential real estate appraisal, commercial property management, commercial leasing, and real estate sales responsibilities. The prior six years specifically centered around the formation and operation of his own business which involved a combination of commercial appraisal work, 1-4 unit residential appraisal work, and residential buyer & seller representation as a licensed real estate broker.
Prior to the creation and operation of his own business, Akers worked for three years as the in-house appraiser for a regional community bank, serving as a one-person quality-control department for the company’s growing commercial lending department. The role provided exposure and valuable experience in valuation, appraisal review, and conflict resolution for an extremely wide variety of property types across multiple states.
After graduating with a degree in architecture + urban design in May 2005, Akers began his career in Atlanta, Georgia, as an architect specializing in large-scale commercial & institutional site design, building design, and consultant coordination. He pivoted to a career in real estate appraising, leasing, commercial property management, and sales in 2010 and has touched nearly every aspect of the real estate industry.
- Formation and Operation of Real Estate Appraisal & Sales Business, South Carolina, 2017-2023
- Qualified as Expert Witness to Testify in Property Value Disputes, Georgia, 2013
- Helped Commercial Property Owners Regain Positive Cash Flow through Common Area Updates / Upgrades, Securing New Tenants, and Appealing Property Tax Assessments, Georgia, 2010-2013
- Practicing Affiliate, Appraisal Institute
- Member, National Association of Realtors
- Member, Charleston Trident Association of Realtors
Licenses and Designations
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in the states of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, South Carolina
- Licensed Architect (Inactive), Florida
Akers earned a Bachelor of Architecture degree from Virginia Polytechnic Institute + State University.